Tuesday, November 29, 2005


BLACK EYED, GHETTOFIED FRIDAY

So Friday morning BEFORE 4 a.m., soon to be Mr. Waterpixie and I headed off to WalMart in Ypsilanti...::shudder::

I thought that you know, being that I'm getting married and all, I would do the whole fun, crazy, domestic bargain shopping thing and get there right when they opened at 5 for their 'DOOR BUSTER' deals.

NO FRIGGIN SHIT!

We got there and waited in a line that extended to the back of that flippin redneck palace for 10 freezing minutes.... I was undaunted, caught up in the moment of all these excited shoppers. Tango looked around uneasily - not having quite so much faith in the civilized crowds as I. Wearing my long wool coat, fur brimmed hat and fur lined gloves, cheeks rosey I know I positively radiated excitement. Looking over at T my heart went out... um... jeans, sneakers, leather coat - that's it babes. No hat, no glovies.. nothing. I could visibly see him shivering. Awwww... poor baby!

HOT DAMN!! THE LINE'S MOVING... enough of the poor baby this and that!! Get me in the friggin store!

About halfway up we heard a HUGE commotion and the line stopped moving.. Now you'all thought I use colorful language??? You ain't never heard nothin like this before... holy hell. Well, the line started moving again - frikkin finally! Looking over through the front windows I could actually see people RUNNING... flat out running back to the electronics section. I couldn't freakin believe it.. my eyes got wider by the second as I actually saw people being pushed and shoved out of the way as these crazy frantic shoppers fought to be first in line.

We got to the door and holy hell in and handbasket!!! The maniacs had frikkin torn the door... YES THE BIG, HEAVY, AUTOMATIC DOOR.... off it's hinges!!! It was hanging off to the side kinda balanced on one of the handrails. My mouth hit the floor. Tango and I were literally CARRIED THROUGH THE DOORS by the masses of sale crazed nimrods. I looked to the right where everyone was headed and then straight ahead where uh... no one was headed. Tango grabbed my hand and yelled "COME ON".... running to keep up with him... (not sure if he was caught up in the moment or if we were in fear for our lives at this point) ... I followed.

I heard Tango say "hot damn!" and looked up ahead..... Ahhhh!!! ::trumpets blare:: there ahead of us was exactly what we had come for...... undisturbed as of yet by the masses of crazed animals... the $68 personal DVD players. We grabbed what we needed and made to beat feet up to the front. SCCCCRRRREEEEEECHHHHHH!! Around the corner came a pregnant woman with 2 toddlers, a 2 flatscreen TV's, pajamas and who knows what the feck else, going about 90 miles an hour. She cornered that cart like it was on rails with one toddler in tears and the other one wide eyed with his arms in the air like he was on a rollercoaster at an amusement park.... all crammed into the buggy along with various other crap she kept throwing in.

In went 3 of the DVD players...Poor kids...

Now I ask friends... is this any place for toddlers?? It was worse than a mosh pit at a Metallica concert!! ::shaking my head::

Well, we got the hell out of there as fast as we could go. As we were leaving I heard one of the girls say something about security having to control an irate shopper that had ASSAULTED a worker because there were no more laptop computers....ASSAULTED!!! Hope the hell they're paying these kids overtime.... dang!

::smooches::
Mara

P.S. Sorry for the lack of posts... it's been a hell of a couple of weeks trying to keep up and catch up work due to the holiday weekend. But never fear...there's more to come.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Aisha T. said…

    Wow, that is something! Definitely not the time to have kids around (how did the pregnant woman with kids beat out a bunch of shoppers for her electronics--that is one determined woman!) From reading everyone's posts and talking to my co-workers and friends, it seems that I am one of the only lazy dumbasses that don't take advantage of the gigantic sales. There's no point for me--unless I've stayed up till 5am which means I am not functioning (and probably on a pair of spiky heels with trance music echoing in my ears.) If I get up to be there at 5am, I am not functioning. I couldn't compete with a pregnant woman carrying triplets in either state. You are one brave woman, Mara. One brave woman. Sounds like you and Tango scored some good stuff!

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Desireous said…

    Oh you are a very brave soul indeed!!! I stay home on Black Friday. I'm a coward! LOL

    Hugs
    Des

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Becky said…

    Holy Shit! I was at home in my cozy bed come Friday morning! I refused to go into those crowds, people just go crazy!

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Suze said…

    Well, should I take comfort in the fact that your sales are just as crazy as ours.

    Only been to one in my life, never again. It's like being in a bloody war zone. :D

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Bella said…

    I'm new to the comment section, but not to reading!
    I would never, ever in my life - ever - shop on Black Friday. Ever.
    Glad you made it through in one piece.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger LostWarriorPoet said…

    Sale crazed women, assault, rotten manners, horribly long lines, and absolutely dismal customer service -- WalMart on a good day. Which is why I avoid that place like the IRS office. I wouldn't venture within 5 blocks of that place on Black Friday. I think I'll just stick to finding my bargains online where I don't have to worry about getting run down by people who act shamelessly afool.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger bricotrout said…

    mara mara mara,
    i too considered going to wal*mart for that very same item. then i realized that i can get the same thing for the same price (give or take $10) at a pawn shop. so i chose to sleep in on friday in my nice cozy bed and watch the mayhem unfold on my local news channel. i THOUGHT that chick with the nice rack looked familiar!!!

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger nitewalk6 said…

    Sounds like WalMart around the world on that day had the same probs. Turns out that the desktop omputers that were hot priced, each store got 40 to sell. One of our locals actually had the riot squad called in and shut down the electronics dept until order was restored. I am again reminded why I stay home on BLACK FRIDAY.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger .- said…

    may be out of town weds - fri. ...if I don't submit my HNT now... I'll miss Thursday post - unthinkable - I am posting tonight - oh and your thanksgiving hnt was ttdf

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Last year the Buffledog and I (who usually walk in the wee hours of the AM) walked up to our nearby Big Box to watch the 5AM madness on Black Friday. No friggin way would I join in on that. I'm not allergic to shopping but there are limits to human craziness that I want to stay on the sane side of. I'm glad you survived! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home