Monday, November 21, 2005

HOW MUCH OPRAH........ IS TOO MUCH OPRAH???

This is a question that has plagued me for over a week now ever since the last shopping trip with Ann.

Ann, by nature, is somewhat of a um..... follower type of person. She's several years older than me and so she has the whole wife/hubby/kids thing going on. She's pretty much perfect at it. Stay at home mom, immaculate house, dinner on the table by 5:30 every night, carpool, sunday school teacher... yup that's Ann.

So last Saturday when Ann and I went out shopping she and I were chatting in the car on the way to the mall about buying jeans when she said...

"I think I'll wait until I watch Oprah on Monday before I buy any jeans"......

Well I gave her this kind of confused look and she explained that Oprah was doing a special on the best jeans for different body types that coming up Monday. ::shrug:: Ok... if you want to wait and consult Oprah about your jeans that's fine.. to each their own.

Well... we got into the mall and the first thing we did was hit the Philosophy counter in Nordstroms...... Why? Because that's the skincare line that Oprah uses. Well, Ok, I can appreciate that. I mean after all, the woman does have great skin. Well Ann procedes to get what she needs and then purchases an entire skincare system for her son who developed a couple of pimples on his hormone raging pre-teen skin!!! She dropped just shy of $200 on a few bottles of facial cleanser. My mouth dropped.

Meandering our way further into the mall we stopped to get some of those 'cinnamon almonds' because "Oprah loves these"... uh huh. So Ann hops in line while I become distracted by the Santa Clause display (friends, you must understand.. I still sit on Santa Clause's lap every year and have a picture taken... I LOVE Santa Clause) but what really distracted me was the fact that they had brought in live reindeer for the weekend - SWEET!) After petting these adorable beasties I cruise back over to the 'nut booth' and as we're standing selecting these sugared, Oprah endorsed delacicies, Ann begins to give me this disgusted look. Well, I raise my eyebrow and give her a look like 'what's up?? Bad nut or something?' Well she pays for her nuts and I walk over next to her to get some on my own and it hits me.... OMG.... something smelled friggin RIPE! Cringing I looked at the reindeer display just in time to see the damn thing plop down a shit that would make an elephant proud! I looked over at Ann and notice she's taken a step back from me... WTF! So I pay for my nuts and we both turn to leave... out of earshot of the nut shoppe Ann says, "What the heck did you eat?". I just stared at her for a second or two and then started laughing hysterically. Like a child I took her hand and led her over to the reindeer exhibit.... the smell worsened with every step we took.... until finally we stood infront of the darling beast and it's amazing pile of excrement. I thought Ann was going to hurl... she's not exactly the 'country gal' type. LMAO... lets just say we were outta there faster than the fat kid in dodgeball.

Exiting the poopie scene on we went to Marshall Fields. Upon entering the store Ann said..."I need to stop at the Clinique counter and get some hand cream. Oprah has it on her list of favorites for combating dry skin. I have dry skin". Well ALRIGHTY then.... Finishing her purchase Ann wandered deeper into the cosmetic section (this is the part from the previous blog entry where we came out painted like french whores). Spying the Bobby Brown counter Ann said "OMG!!! Bobby Brown! I have to stop and look at their lipstick. It's the kind that Oprah uses" Well OF FREAKIN COUSE IT IS!!! $52 on a lipstick pallet people... ::sigh:: Now you see... I know Ann, she's a chapstick fanatic... she'll never use this lipstick and even if she does it will be gone in 20 minutes because she'll have wiped it off to put more chapstick on.

After leaving cosmetics was the frightening nightmare of dodging bullets through the perfume section (also outlined in the previous blog entry). Exiting the perfumes we were heading for the door when Ann says "WAIT!! I almost forgot something!" Dashing like a mad woman back through the store (remember folks we have to be home by 4:30 to start the 5:30 dinner) she finally stopped at the lingerie section and turning she said.....::dramatic pause:: "I just have to get some of these underwear.. they're kinda pricey ($32) a pair, but THESE ARE THE KIND THAT OPRAH WEARS!!"... well that just frikkin did it. OPRAH UNDERWEAR?? Do the words 'stalker, unhealthy obsession, fatal attraction mean anything to you!!! Holy Mother of God!

::still shaking my head:: Oprah underwear... WHERE DO I FIND THESE FRIENDS!!

::smooches::

Mara

*******************************************************

On another note... I'm going to share a fabulous recipe for Thanksgiving. This idea was given to me by femi-mommy who has a FABULOUS BLOG and posted a recipe for gooey butter cake on her page last week.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

2 envelopes DREAM WHIP Whipped Topping Mix

2-3/4 cups cold milk, divided

1 tsp. vanilla

2pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Instant Pudding & Pie Filling, milk chocolate

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, divided

8 peanut butter cups

2 tablespoons Hersheys Chocolate Syrup

4 heaping tablespoons marshmallow creme


1 baked pastry shell (9 inch), cooled

CHOP peanut butter cups until finely crumbled (works well in food processor)


BEAT marshmallow cream, 1/4 cup peanut butter and chocolate syrup until smooth and creamy.



SPREAD marshmallow cream mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared crust.


SPRINKLE 3/4 of the crumbled peanut butter cups over the marshmallow cream making an even layer. -->


BEAT whipped topping mix, 1 cup of the milk and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed 6 minutes or until topping thickens and forms soft peaks.

ADD remaining 1-3/4 cups milk and dry pudding mixes. Beat on low speed until well blended. Beat on high speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup peanut butter and beat on high speed 1 additional minute. Pour evenly and spread into crust.

REFRIGERATE at least 4 hours. Garnish with remaining peanut butter cups. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.


I hope you get a chance to try it... it's pretty yummy!

Happy Thanksgiving!

18 Comments:

  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Pirate said…

    I'm not much of the conformist type so IO have never really got the appeal with Oprah./ Don't get me wrong she seems nice and intelligent and she is the richest person in the world of course. So I would say too m uch might be 250 lbs. If she keeps it below 175 lbs she's fine anything above she approaches dangerous territory.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said…

    Any Oprah is tooooo much Oprah!

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    Wow... how did I miss your HNT? Fabulous!

    I've never understood Oprah taking Ralph Nader's place as the Guru of Consumerism, but every year I get something from my mother that "Oprah uses/recommends/featured."

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said…

    WOW!! And people say she should run for president--why should she? She's already running the country. The description of the perfect wife--it's almost as if I am the perfect negative of it. I'm out of the house at every minute, take the subway, eat dinner whenever (usually around 9:30) untidy house (but, clean!)and I sometimes walk past a church on Sundays.
    Do you think her son is going to use the skin care system?

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    girl I am laughing so hard my sides hurt.... your friends needs an aa for oprah...lol

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Blogger Suze said…

    Does Oprah eat this Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie?

    I would love to make one of these but need someone to send over the following ingredients please:

    Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
    Marshmallow Creme

    :D

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    Oh my God this women needs to get a life because the one she has can't be very fullfilling. As for the receipe, I definitly want to try it. anything with dream whip in is always good. Happy Thanksgiving Mara!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Well at least there is never a dull moment with your friend *LOL* I have a few like this one ..:)

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger A Bronx Tale said…

    the DVD box set we have at work is TOO MUCH OPRAH!!!

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Desireous said…

    It could be a lot worse she could have attached herself to Jerry Springer. LOL
    Happy Thanksgiving Girlfriend!

    Hugs
    Des
    PS Love the bra in your HNT photo!

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way too far over the top, that chick. Suze: YOu don't have those products where you are?

     
  • At 2:51 AM, Blogger Suze said…

    Bedroomdancer - I'm in the UK, I don't think they are available over here.

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger Mara said…

    awww.. Suze!! Send me your address girl and I'll send them to you..

    You're right, they don't. I was an exchange student in Europe and they don't have peanutbutter or marshmallow creme.

    I'm not a psycho LOL.. so if you're comfortable sending a receiving address, I'll get those things off to ya.

    ::smooches::
    Mara

     
  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Mara said…

    Ooops... lol... I'll send hersheys syrup too!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Suze said…

    Mara

    Why don't you bring it over and try some of our British hospitality. ;)

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger bricotrout said…

    hey doll! came by here to see another great HNT! why did i even bother coming back then? ;)

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger sirbarrett said…

    I watched the touching story about a mother that died of breast cancer the other day. Before she died, she taped an archive of lessons and arranged charms for her daughter to have at certain parts of her life, because she herself couldn't be there. As I was sitting there getting misty drinking tea while I had a million other things to do, I asked the same question: am I watching too much Oprah?? Though, your friends actually putting their lives on hold until they watch Oprah! Speaking of underwear, they showed the episode when Tom Hanks was on way back. A member of the audience asked "do you wear boxers of briefs?" He asked "do I really have to answer that?" I'm surprised your friend KNOWS what underwear Oprah wears. I don't. So am I safe?

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger wopanese said…

    Remind me of a line from this sci-fi show, Stargate SG-1, spoken by a human who never lived on earth.

    "What is an Oprah?"

    Well, she is someone that several people have ridden the coattails of to wealth and fame. I mean, how the hell else could Dr. Phil, chunky boy himself, write a book on weight loss... and HAVE IT SELL????

    Now THAT is going too far.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home